Sunday, August 10, 2008

Night at Houhai (后海)

“We aren’t in an information age, we are in an entertainment age.” –Anthony Robbins

First, I just want to apologize to my blog readers for the lack of updates. I have been traveling for 3 weeks in China (including rural areas) and have lacked reliable internet access. I will try my best to quickly post the remainder of my experiences. Thanks.

There are various places in Beijing that people go to in order to quench their thirst for coffee, tea, and beer. One such place, which has gained a reputation for having some of the best bars, attracting floods of foreign visitors, and charging outrageous prices, is Houhai. Several weeks ago, my friend Evan and I had the opportunity to experience the nightlife at Houhai. The area consists of over 180 restaurants and bars including Budweiser, Heinicken, and Carlsberg. The Houhai district surrounds a lake, which takes about 45 minutes to walk around at a comfortable pace. While walking around, I saw various artists whose works included caricatures and stone carvings. Unfortunately, there were also people who incessantly followed us. Apparently, their sole job was to lure visitors into their bars.

An entertaining street performer at the entrance of Houhai.

Juggling

This guy attracts a huge audience.

Evan

Busy night

Beautiful scenery

Second floor of Carlsberg bar, loaded with a gigantic television. Everything on the menu is unnecessarily expensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“We aren’t in an information age, we are in an entertainment age.” –Anthony Robbins


The above quote is very true and I agree that people nowadays likes to be entertained more than they would like to be informed. Actually, many western media now makes information "entertaining" through a variety of comics and comedy shows. If you haven't had a chance to read the book Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman, I would recommend you to read it. Its supportive of the idea of Huxley's Brave New World and counters Orwell's 1984.

p.s. thanks for the food...the Korean cold noodle looked delicious...next time we meet...lunch is on you! haha...